Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Tuesday Morning


This week I decided to venture out of my culinary comfort zone. For me, that meant letting Miss Taylor (the egg lady at the farmer's market) convince me to try mustard greens. Now, Miss Taylor has been trying to get me to try the kale or mustard greens for weeks. And I must admit, aesthetically speaking, they are very tempting. Miss Taylor digs them out of her garden that very morning, and not only do you get the leaves, you actually get the root bulb, with fresh, clean dirt clumps still hanging off of the rootlets. She has ruby red, garnet, green goblin, curly, and flat variations. And they are pretty. Especially all bunch together on the table, its a veritable cornicopia of southern-ness. And of things that growing up north of the Mason-Dixon line I consider very strange and foreign. So for weeks now Miss Taylor has been trying to convince me to try some of the greens. This week, I decided to go for it. Only with the mustard greens though, kale is still a little much for me. I was pleasantly surprised in that the greens, while pugent, were very palatable. So I succumbed to Miss Taylor and purchased a bunch of the ruby red mustard greens. I have yet to use them in a salad as she suggests, but they are so pretty they almost look like flowers. And I got my dozen, farm fresh brown eggs. It was, as my mother would say, a way good morning!