Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I have my googly eyes on you


This week is the anatomy lab midterm. Which for me means that over the past week and weekend I have spent pretty much all of my open time in the lab running review sessions and this week I will be proctoring exams. People seem to think that anatomy lab is an okay time to have wandering eyes. Not true! So I have my googly eyes peeled for any signs of dishonorable behavior. As do my trusty deputies, who are also equipped with technological anti-cheating devices. Over the summer our lab had a very cool TV, video/still camera system installed, where now you can mount the camera above the dissection table and stream the images to the tv. Which in exam proctoring terms, means that you can basically create a closed-circuit monitoring system. There is also a remote to the system, so from across the room you can zoom in and out, as well as take still shots if you want to capture wandering eyes in print. It's pretty awesome as a dissection/teaching aid, and a pretty neat anti-cheating mechanism too. The only problem with this system is that the male members of our anatomy team are obsessed with it (must be something about there being a remote, and buttons to push, and technology) and never let anyone else use the system. Which means that when said male members of the anatomy team are not in the lab, nobody knows how to work the system. It's kind of a problem. I'm working on getting camera/tv system lessons. So far I've gotten a laugh and a "don't worry about it, I've got it under control" in response to my request to be taught. Hmmmm.


I also discovered that the male members of the anatomy team are OBSESSED with pipe cleaners. NOt lagging far behind in the marvel over the pipe cleaners is the rest of my team. After seeing all of their amazement and wonder at the pipe cleaners, I was reminded yet again how lucky I am that my mama stayed home with me during my formative pre-aged 16 years and we had many adventures in pipe cleaners, paint, ceramics, and all other sorts of wonder. IN case you were wondering, there were some comendable pieces of pipe cleaner artwork created, including: headset complete with ear phones, handcuffs, a lollipop, and my personal favorite, a quite well formed flower. Now if we just had a few more packs of pipe cleaners, we could have a full bouquet!


PS-if you are wondering where I got the great googly-eyed skull photo, visit skulladay.blogspot.com-they created a different skull every day for a year! It's a pretty cool site!