Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuesday Morning


This morning I made my weekly trip to the Cresent City Farmer's Market. Miss Taylor had kept a dozen eggs on the side for me, which was lucky because the market was crowded this morning! I would have imagined that the market would be less crowded as we progressed into later Fall, but apparently I was wrong-the cooler and more crisp the air, the greater turnout at the market!


Today also marked my introduction to satsumas. Satsumas are a type of Louisiana citrus, its kind of like a cross between a clementine and a mandrin orange (yes, I mean the ones in the can-delish!).


Having yummy citrus always reminds me of my favorite childhood place: Grandma and Grandpa's house in LaQuinta. LaQuinta was lovely and magical for many reasons, most of all the company and love that was shared and enjoyed there. Additionally, right outside the patio doors were citrus trees: grapefruit, orange, and lemon. I'm pretty sure that my two main food groups when at Grandma and Grandpa's were grapefruits and oranges. In the morning, we would run outside, pull a few oranges and grapefruits off of the trees, and have a grapefruit and orange juice for breakfast. And again for a mid-morning snack, and then maybe for our afternoon snack we might get fancy and have an orange with grapefruit juice. So divine. This citrus was way different from the kind you get in the store-these jems were a) enormous compared to the grocery store variety, and b) so naturally sweet no sugar was necessary. Mmmm, mmm, mmm!