Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A little girl's prayer

Two weeks ago a family moved into our branch and brought with them a little girl. She is super cute and has increased my class size by a third. She likes to twirl and wiggle and giggle as most 3 year olds do and seems to thoroughly enjoy my wiggle and giggle heavy primary class, which I love ;) Then, at the end of class, she volunteered to say the closing prayer. I offered to help her {we do a lot of helping in my class: prayers, scriptures, songs}, at which point she gave me as haughty a look as a 3 year old can give and informed me that she can say prayers on her own. At which point, she folded her arms, bowed her little sweet head, and bulleted into a 30 second prayer that cannot be summed up in words and was a crazy fast list of what she is thankful for: "thank you for my mommy, thank you for my daddy, thank you for the church, thank you for my house, thank you for the birds, thank you for the trees, thank you for my teacher, thank you for my teacher being pretty, thank you for the..." I love a child who thanks her Heavenly Father for all of those things, who found me worthy of inclusion to her list, and who even added a shout-out that I am pretty. Such simple, loving, generous gratitude.

She is a wonderful addition to my dynamic duo and now we have a terrific trio of a primary! My primary children are so sweet and kind and unique and teach me so much about myself and life every week; it's amazing how much wisdom and knowledge those little buggers have!