Thursday, July 30, 2009

I bought this book on a complete whim in an airport bookshop. Did I need it? No. I already had 2 books and a few magazines in my bag. Was I inexplicably drawn to it? Yes. Probably something to do with the colored drawing of the brain on the cover, so like all of the images I have studied and emblematic of all of those theories I have learned over the past 5 years. Is the book fascinating? Well, I can't really tell you. Why? Please, allow me to explain.

The book was written by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D; she is a top neuroscientist specializing in schizophrenia research and she suffered from a stroke. Because of her training, she was able to understand, analyze and interpret what was happening to her brain as it shut down system by system. It has taken her many years to fully recover and be able to elucidate and share her stroke experience, but her expertise, combined with the rare type of stroke she suffered have afforded neuroscientists an unprecedented look into the mind of a stroke victim as they are experiencing the stroke. My Stroke of Insight is her story, a powerful combination of scientific knowledge, personal experience, and her struggle to recover.

Apparently this book is one of the very most fascinating items to see the person sitting next to you pull out of their bag. Particularly while on an airplane. Note to my fellow airplane passengers out there: I have a book out because I want to read it, not because I want to explain the premise and complicated science behind it. Additional note to my fellow airplane passengers: if I have a book out and open, and my ipod out, and my headphones in my ears, I really don't want to talk to you. I just want to read my book. Maybe if you let me read my book, then I will be more inclined to explain it to the next person who asks about it.

So, so far I am only 3 chapters into the book, just reaching the morning of Jill's stroke, and I can't tell you a whole lot about it yet. But the first 3 chapters have been great: a layman's introduction to the brain and it's functioning as we currently understand it that frankly everyone should read, learn, and know. What more practical knowledge is there in the world than how your brain works, interacts, and forms the thoughts and feelings that make you, you? Alrighty, I'll get off of my neuroscience soapbox now, but seriously, I recommend reading this book-I think it'll be a goodie. And once you are done with it, please let me know how it ends, 'cause I probably won't be through it yet due to interruptions.

Happy Summer Reading!